The Sheffield Business Awards are back!
Firmly established as the leading awards ceremony in Sheffield, join us to celebrate, recognise and showcase the great organisations, initiatives, people and projects that call Sheffield their home!
The black-tie dinner will be filled with celebration and culinary delights. This combined with shortlisted companies, our sponsors and partners and the cities ‘great and good’, ensure a fantastic night out and networking opportunity.
Tickets are now closed.
The Awards Ceremony
It’s time to go shopping!
In partnership with our preloved fashion partner, we encourage guests of this year’s Sheffield Business Awards to wear preloved outfits they have found in a St Luke’s store.
We’re confident you’ll find yourself the perfect outfit at a reduced cost, and at the same time you’ll be helping us to reduce carbon emissions, save resources and protect the environment. Don’t worry if you struggle for inspiration – we have eight exclusive personal shopper experiences available between 14 and 26 September. You can book these via St Luke’s very own #SBApersonalshopper, Jemma Dalton.
Key Dates for your Diary
Midday, Friday 16 th June 2023
Midnight, Monday 31 st July 2023
Midday, Monday 4th September 2023
Thursday 12 th October 2023
2023 Award Categories
The Spirit of Sheffield Award
Marketing Sheffield, Sheffield City Council
The Spirit of Sheffield Award recognises initiatives that have significantly impacted the city’s reputation on regional, national, and global levels. This award honours individuals and organisations who have genuinely contributed to Sheffield’s growth and success, embodying innovation, entrepreneurship, and community spirit. It celebrates initiatives from the arts, music, film, creative, and marketing industries that have pushed boundaries, challenged conventions, and left a lasting impression on their audience.
An Employer / Individual / Collaboration/ Project / Team
- Community Spirit
- Lasting Impression
- Jane Whitham – Director, Altitude/Counter Context
- Darren Pearce – Centre Director, Meadowhall Limited Partnership
- Nik Hamilton – Investment Team Manager – Invest Sheffield, Sheffield City Council
- Charlotte Watson – Regional Account Manager (SY Public Sector), University of Sheffield
The Community Impact Award
The Community Impact Award recognises projects that have made a positive impact on the lives of people who live, work, and visit Sheffield. This award celebrates initiatives that have helped to enhance the local community, promoting social inclusion and improving the quality of life for all. It honours individuals and organisations that have made a real difference and contributed to the betterment of Sheffield’s society.
- Positive impact
- Community enhancement
- Social inclusion
- Quality of life
- Real difference
- Chris Capon – Distribution Director – UK, Westfield Health
- Katie Tilyard -Sheffield Business Together Operations Manager, Sheffield Business Together Operations Manager, Sheffield Business Together
- Ruth E. Willis – Chief Executive, South Yorkshire’s Community Foundation
- Terry Murphy – Network Lead, Sheffield Social Enterprise Network
The International Trade Champion
The International Trade Champion showcases companies that have excelled in global import and export operations while contributing significantly to the Sheffield economy. This award recognises the outstanding achievements of organisations that have expanded their business horizons, forged international partnerships, and demonstrated exceptional expertise in cross-border trade. It honours the vital role that international trade plays in Sheffield’s economic growth and success.
- Global import/export operations
- Contribution to Sheffield’s economy
- Business Expansion
- International partnership
- Expertise in cross-border trade
- Duncan Hoyland MIEx – Trade Partnerships Manager, Department for Business & Trade
- James Berry – Partner, Freeths LLP
- Andrew Hulse – Partner, UHY Hacker Young
- Peter Edwards – Chief Executive, International Trade Forum
- Manuel Fantin – Export Finance Manager | South Yorkshire, UK Export Finance
Outstanding Contribution to Employee Health and Wellbeing
SBD Apparel Limited
The Outstanding Contribution to Employee Health and Wellbeing Award recognises employers who have implemented successful initiatives and projects to support the physical, mental, and financial health of their employees. This award celebrates the dedication and commitment of organisations that have prioritised the wellbeing of their workforce, and highlights the positive impact this has on their productivity, retention, and job satisfaction.
- Successful initiatives
- Dedication to wellbeing
- Impact on productivity
- Impact on retention
- Impact on job satisfaction
- Chris Bailey – Head of Foundation, Sheffield United Community Foundation
- Dave Kneeshaw – Director, Betterminds
- Mulima Muyunda – Race and Diversity Lead, South Yorkshire Housing Association
- Steven Pleasant MBE – Healthy Lives Adviser, South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority
The Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Champion
King Ecgbert School
The Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Champion recognises initiatives that promote diversity, equality, and inclusion in all aspects of an organisation. This award celebrates organisations/teams or individuals that have demonstrated a strong commitment to sustainability, social justice, and human rights, and have worked to create a culture that celebrates diversity and encourages inclusivity. It honours those who have made significant strides towards a more equal, diverse, and inclusive society, from strategy through to delivery.
- Commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion
- Promotion of sustainability, social justice and/or human rights
- Culture of celebration of inclusivity and diversity
- Strategy through to delivery
- Measurable impact
- Judith Beechey – Head of Performance Management, B. Braun Sterilog Ltd.
- Helene Ghosh – UK Group HR Director, B. Braun Sterilog Ltd.
- Sharon Jandu OBE – Founder, Yorkshire Asian Business Association (YABA)
- Ruth McDonald – Race Equality Business Leader, Sheffield City Council
Outstanding Contribution to Workforce Development
The Outstanding Contribution to Workforce Development Award recognises and rewards companies that have demonstrated exceptional commitment and dedication to developing a professional development and learning culture within their business. This award celebrates organisations that have invested in the skills, knowledge, and abilities of their workforce, and have made significant contributions to the professional growth and advancement of their employees. It honours those who have created a supportive, nurturing, and empowering environment for their staff.
- Evidence of investment in workforce development
- Demonstrable impact on employee development
- Evidence of a learning culture
- Innovation in workforce development
- Alignment with business strategy
- Laura Hayfield – Head of Employment and Skills, Opportunity Sheffield
- Richard Stubbs – Chief Executive Officer, Yorkshire and Humber Academic Health Science Network
- Daniel Lally – Group Director: Business, Enterprise, Skills and Employability, Sheffield Hallam University
The Environmental Impact Award
OSL Group Holdings Ltd (T/A OSL Group)
The Environmental Impact Award recognises and rewards projects that have demonstrated a strong commitment to managing environmental impact. This award celebrates initiatives that have contributed to reducing carbon footprint, preserving natural resources, and promoting sustainable practices. It honours organisations that have made significant strides towards a more environmentally responsible future and acknowledges their dedication to protecting our planet for future generations.
- Commitment to environmental responsibility
- Reduction in carbon footprint
- Preservation of natural resources
- Promotion of sustainable practices
- Impact and scalability
- Richard Sulley – Net Zero Project Director, South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority
- Wil Stewart – Director of Investment, Climate Change and Planning, Sheffield City Council
- Jonathan Akers – Carbon Legacy & Sustainability Limited
- Hannah Cornish – University of Sheffield
The Brand Campaign of the Year
Exhausts UK Ltd (T/A Cobra Sport)
The Brand Campaign of the Year Award is designed to recognize and reward the best brand campaigns that have demonstrated exceptional creativity, innovation, and impact in establishing a strong brand identity, raising brand awareness, and telling a compelling brand story across the city of Sheffield. This award celebrates the brands that have succeeded in resonating with their target audience, generating buzz, and creating a lasting impression. The campaign could be in any medium, from traditional print and broadcast media to digital and social media, and it should have demonstrated a clear understanding of the target audience’s needs and preferences.
- Faaiza Ramji – Principal, OnPurpose
- Dan Broadbent – Managing Director, Objective
- Hannah Martin-Singh – B2C Marketing Manager, UniHomes
- Mark Mobbs – Place Brand and Marketing Manager for City Campaigns, Sheffield City Council
The Inspirational Leader of the Year
Sarah Sharp, Director, The Montgomery Theatre and Arts Centre
The Inspirational Leader of the Year Award recognises and rewards an individual who has demonstrated exceptional leadership skills and inspired their team to achieve outstanding results. This award celebrates leaders who have motivated, mentored, and guided their team to success, and have created a positive and supportive work environment. It honours those who have set a high standard of excellence, led by example, and inspired others to follow their lead.
- Exceptional leadership skills
- Ability to inspire
- High Standard of excellence
- Communication and collaboration
- Positive impact
- Howard Freeman – Partner, Shorts
- Grace Brierley – Senior Philanthropy Officer, Sheffield Hallam University
- Rachel Storey DipCII – Sales & Marketing Manager and HR Consultant, ProAktive Ltd – part of the Clear Group
The Leading through Innovation Award
The LabLogic Group
The Leading through Innovation Award recognises and rewards projects in the region that have created new products or improved existing ones to meet the needs of their users. This award celebrates organisations that have demonstrated exceptional innovation, creativity, and problem-solving skills, and have made significant contributions to their industries. It honours those who have pushed boundaries, challenged conventions, and paved the way for a brighter future.
- Problem-solving skills
- Industry impact
- John Baddeley, Chairman – Wake Smith Solicitors
- Emma Marshall – Sheffield Digital
- Joseph Quinn – South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority
- Eleanor Edey – Regional Partnership Development Officer, University of Sheffield
Small Organisation of the Year
River Stewardship Company
The Small Organisation of the Year Award recognises and rewards companies with no more than 49 employees and a turnover of less than £5 million who have demonstrated exceptional performance, growth, and innovation. This award honours companies of all ages and industries, who have excelled in their field, built a strong reputation, and made a significant contribution to the local economy.
An Employer – 0-49 employees and less than £5m T/O
- Strong performance and growth
- Reputation and credibility
- Contribution to the local economy
- Excellence in business practices
- Dr Alexandra Anderson SFHEA – Programme Director Help to Grow, Sheffield Business School, Sheffield Hallam University
- Dan Kirkland – Non-Executive Director, Evenbreak and Stephen Harrison Academy
- Jav Khan – Metro Bank
- Dan Shore – Business Relationship Manager, The Start-Up Loans Company
Medium to Large Organisation of the Year
The LabLogic Group
The Medium to Large Organisation of the Year Award recognises and rewards companies with over 50 employees and a turnover of more than £5 million who have demonstrated outstanding performance, growth, and innovation. This award honours companies of all industries and ages, who have excelled in their field, built a strong reputation, and made a significant contribution to the local economy.
An Employer – 50+ employees and over £5m T/O
- Business performance and growth
- Innovation and creativity
- Employee engagement and wellbeing
- Customer satisfaction and loyalty
- Corporate social responsibility
- Robert Smith – Head of Manufacturing, SBD Apparel Ltd
- Chris Gillingham – Production Manager, SBD Apparel Ltd
- Victoria Brown – Special Melted Products
- Joseph Quinn – South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority
The Collaboration Excellence Award
Chef’s Counter Community Interest Company
The Collaboration Excellence Award celebrates successful partnerships between two or more organisations that have resulted in a positive impact on the local region. This award acknowledges the importance of collaboration in achieving common goals, creating a better community for all, and evidencing excellence in team collaboration while achieving the desired outcome.
- Demonstrated collaboration
- Impact on its community
- Clear communication and partnership
- Katie Tilyard – Sheffield Business Together Operations Manager, Sheffield Business Together
- Martin Swales – Chief Executive, South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority
- James Cokeham – Regional Economic Development Manager, University of Sheffield
The Learning Champion of the Year
Alexandra Heppell, Customer Service Advisor – Apprentice, OSL Cutting Technologies (Part of the OSL Group)
The Learning Champion of the Year Award recognises and rewards an individual who has made significant progress through an internal or external skills or development programme. This award celebrates those who have demonstrated a strong commitment to continuous learning, personal growth, and professional development. It honours those who have pushed themselves beyond their limits, acquired new knowledge and skills, and inspired others to follow their lead.
- Commitment to learning
- Progress and growth
- Inspiration and leadership
- Potential growth
- Rachel Topliss – Director of Student Employability Services, The Sheffield College
- Dom Brook – Director, Brook Corporate Developments
- Bill Hilton – Senior Project Officer, Opportunity Sheffield
Start-Up Organisation of the Year
Amodo Design Ltd
The Start-Up Organisation of the Year Award recognises and rewards companies that have shown outstanding performance and growth in their first three years of trading. This award celebrates the entrepreneurial spirit and innovation of start-ups and honours those who have overcome challenges, seized opportunities, and achieved success.
An Employer / Sole Trade
- Growth and performance
- Innovation and creativity
- Leadership and vision
- Customer focus
- Social responsibility
Katie Keates – Business Growth Advisor, Business Sheffield
Thom Webb – Director, North, Newable Limited
Tom Wolfenden – CEO, Sheffield Technology Parks
The Chamber President’s Special Recognition Award
The Children’s University
The Chamber President’s Special Recognition Award is a prestigious award selected and presented by the current Sheffield Chamber of Commerce President. This award acknowledges an individual, project, or organisation that holds a special place in the heart of the President and has made a significant impact in Sheffield. The President recognises the contributions made by the recipient, celebrating their dedication to the community and their commitment to making Sheffield a better place to live, work and do business.
This award is not open to online applications and is selected and presented by the current Sheffield Chamber of Commerce president.
Have a question on the event? Contact the team at Sheffield Chamber of Commerce.